Thursday, November 10, 2016


Nichijou is one of my favorite anime series of all time. I like it so much that I've bought all the manga that has been released thus far in America. I like it so much I've purposefully not finished the show because I don't want to live in a world where there isn't more Nichijou to watch, which is why I was ecstatic when I heard the news that Funimation was finally going to release it here in America, on blu-ray no less. The show is an absurdest comedy about the every day lives of three school girls, although the show has a massive cast including a deer wrestling principle, a talking cat, and an 8 year old mad scientist. It runs for 26 episodes and each episode is a series of short clips. The jokes are fantastic and animated in an absurdly high quality for the content that's being delivered which only adds to the hilarity. Its this obscenely high production quality that makes this blu-ray release exciting, Being able to watch Nichijou in glorious 1080p will be a delight.

This joke is made 1000x better by the high production quality


Often times North American releases includes and English dub for the characters voices, and so anime fans have the dilemma, should they watch the Japanese dub with English subtitles, or the English dub. This is commonly referred to, the subs or dubs argument and it is hotly debated in the anime community. This arises because a lot of the time the companies, like Funimation, that acquire the rights to the English dub more times than not do a horrible job. Characters voices will sometimes not match the character, be annoying, or sometimes they're just bad. But that isn't the case all the time, so people argue about what is better. I've heard people say that if an anime is good then it will have a good dub, or that they only watch subs because that's the way the show was meant to be watched. I disagree with both, I go on a case by case basis, but usually I pick the subs, just because they're usually just higher quality. The voice actors work with the director personally while often times the English dub is cast and directed without input from the director of the series. Of course there are some dubs that are better than subs, like Cowboy Bebop or Hellsing, and there are plenty of subs that are better than dubs, like Neon Genesis Evangelion or Serial Experiments Lain. And there are some where they're all bad, in which case you probably just shouldn't watch it, or just read the manga.

mfw people argue about subs or dubs


Nichijou luckily does not have this problem because the original voice acting is amazing, all of the voice actors are incredibly skilled at their craft and their voices suit their characters perfectly.I couldn't imagine hearing their voices any other way and now luckily I won't have to worry about that because on this very rare occasion, Funimation is releasing Nichijou in North America without and English dub. I can't remember the last time that ever happened, but I'm sure glad my viewing experience won't be tainted by shoddy voice acting. It's being released on February 7th, and you can bet I'll be counting down the days. Read more about it here!


No comments:

Post a Comment